Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Tween Readers

One of the new things that is going to happen on this here blog, is that I will be interviewing tweens about their reading habits.  The first reader to be interviewed on Tweendom is "Scout".  She has been wandering around my library for years, and when I think of the term "reader" I think of her.

Do you consider yourself a reader?
Definitely!  I love to read, and many of my friends complain that I "read too much."  I read as often as I can.

What are your favorite genres to read?
I enjoy reading realistic fiction, because I can really relate to the characters, historical fiction, because I love hearing about history, and fantasy, because, I mean, who doesn't like to read about wizards and flying and magic talking dragons? 
 
How do you select the books you want to read?
There are many other avid readers in my grade and in other grades, and I love hearing recommendations from them.  If I see a friend reading a good book, I'll probably go to the library and try to find it.  But sometimes I also just browse the library and look for good books.  I have the unfortunate bad habit of starting at the middle of the book, reading to the end and then finishing the beginning. 
 
What is your favorite book so far?
I have 3 favorite books, but I look for more favorites every day.  Currently my favorites are Queens Own Fool, by Jane Yolen, because the writing style is rich and marvelous,  Jacky Daydream, an autobiography of Jaqueline Wilson, because she has a way of making you get lost in the book and never want to come out, and Luv Ya Bunches by Lauren Myracle, because it is filled with real life problems but also real life happiness. 
   
  What is your favorite thing about reading?
   My favorite thing about reading is when I'm reading a good book, I'm totally gone.  Its like I'm traveling through a magical world instead of sitting on the couch, and I can't hear anybody (sometimes a problem around dinner time).  If you are reading the right book, reading can be amazing, and you never want to leave that book until you're finished. 
  
Do you read on an e-reader/phone/computer?
Never!  I do acknowledge that Kindles are practical, but I am a very much old fashioned reader, and I prefer to stick with a normal book instead of a cold computer screen.  Plus, how do you get lost in the story with a computer? 
   
What kinds of books do you think are the most popular with kids your age?  Why?
I think that adventure novels have been very popular with kids in my grade this year.  I see many people reading books such as The Hunger Games and Alex Rider.  I don't love adventure novels, but I can see how living a normal life in middle school can make you want some adventure. 
 
 What are you currently reading?
I've just finished To Kill A Mockingbird (everybody I asked loved it, so I had to find out whether it was good.)  I have started Born On A Blue Day, which is a memoir of an autistic savant.  It is an interesting perspective on life.

No comments: