Monday, January 04, 2010

Rhymes with Fresca!


Today marks the end of Jon Scieska's two year term as the Ambassador of Children's Literature. I would like to offer up a big thanks to him, not only for his work as ambassador, but for providing so many fun books for us to read to kids!

Some folks might wonder why here at Tweendom, I would be taking time out since most of Mr. Scieszka's work (Knucklehead aside) is for the younger set. Well, because books like The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales, are laugh-out-loud funny, and help get boys (and girls) to look at reading as fun, and not just something to sit still for!

His MC-ing skills are unparalleled, and he has made the National Book Award press conference for youth a fun and sly experience for the teens and the adults in the room.

So here's to you, Jon Scieszka!

5 comments:

Jon Scieszka said...

Thanks for the toast Stacy. I'm glad you are out there connecting our YA readers to all kinds of reading.

Mary Lee said...

Stacy, Thanks for reminding us that Tween readers grow out of picture book readers, and that authors like Scieszka are the ones who help us grow lifelong readers!

Becker said...

Hi from the Comments Challenge! One of my goals is to try out some new blogs, so here I am :-). I totally agree about Sciszka! I actually had a younger kid asking for Knucklehead at my library yesterday, he and his dad were going to read it together! Those moments (and luckily, there are many of them!) make me love my job even more!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

Thanks for the pronunciation key. I read Scieszka's name all the time and I am never sure how to say it. This is clearly a wise and helpful blog! I found you from the comment challenge.

Dare said...

Stacy, I so agree with your statement about Scieszka's books! The True Story of the Three Little Pigs is one of my all-time favorite. I recommended it other grown-ups who enjoyed it tremendously, along with other his books. *Hat down to the author*